Monday, April 15, 2013

I'm not one to complain, but...

The title of this post may or may not be true, but just indulge me for a moment...

I just caught a glimpse of my last post.  It was titled First Day of Spring and there I was all dressed up in my snow gear, shoveling a lot of snow.  I was smiling. 

It is now officially the middle of April and I am no longer smiling.  This is just pathetic.  We still have multiple feet of snow.  And on the lake, multiple feet of ice under the snow.  Oh yes, and it has been snowing all day.  And the forecast isn't looking so warm.

People are gettin' mad here in Northwest Ontario.  This late spring isn't normal, even for us extremely tough folk.  Unfortunately, the rants and rages get us nowhere.  They do nothing to change the weather.  I get angry when I wear my snow boots and long down parka, so I've chosen to be cold instead.  I now understand Eli, who left the house in the blowing snow with only a sweatshirt this morning.  He is so done with coats, hats, mitts.  I have given up fighting over it.  It's not worth it and I get it now.

Well, you know I shouldn't end on such a sour note, so I'll relate one silly weather-related angst story:  Sunday morning 4 of the 5 of us were sitting around the living room.  I hopelessly looked out at the disgusting beautiful snow.  I announced that I could no longer handle it and I prepared to hyperventilate.  Kendall warned the boys, "Watch out!  She's gonna blow!"  So I blew and I screamed very loud.  The boys made some observations about my scream being very loud.  So I let them know that the first scream was nothing.  I screamed again, this time louder and shriller.  Evan was not about to be outdone by his mama and screamed like a banshee.  It was awful.  We all laughed.  Then we heard a third person's scream.  And there, from the lower level, looking at us from behind the bars of the railing, stood little Lydia.  Poor forgotten baby.  She wanted in on the fun too and made herself heard.  So, like usual, we promoted her to star of the show.

Here's our new railing by the way.  Safety first.  Poor girl was down below, looking at all of us having fun up top.  But she was happy, not sad like the following photo:

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Jace saw the last pic of Lydia and said, "aww, she wants in mom! she wants in."
Still laughing about your moment there, Karen. I thought the 3rd scream was coming from the renter! That would have been hilarious!