Monday, July 20, 2009

Vacation- Stressful Part

Ah, family vacation. And boy, am I tired. We combined this truck-buying mission to Duluth with a bit of a family vacation. I’m glad we could do it, but being on a mission doesn’t seem very conducive to the relaxing, enjoyable, being-nice-to-your-kids side of a family vacation.

Kendall was on a mission and I was too. There’s something about living in a remote small town that makes you feel like you have to buy everything you may ever need as soon as you get to civilization. For example, I needed a new bathing suit and whether I felt like it or not, this was my chance to find one. And good grief, milk was less than half the price we’re used to paying! Get as much as we can fit in our cooler! Cherries- only $1.40 a pound?! Gotta get pepperoni! You can’t even get this kind at our grocery store! Plain Hershey bars for s’mores? Those aren’t sold up there either! And McDonald’s?! Where’s the nearest Taco Bell?! Ahhhh!!!!!! Dear me… Can you understand the panic we get caught up in?

When I’m at home, I tell myself, “It’s fine, Karen.” I can adjust to more remote living. I can adjust to the higher prices. I can adjust to less selection. I can adjust to not having everything I’m used to. We’re fine. It’s good for me. And anyway, I’m against Walmart. In theory, anyway. But something weird happens to me when I know that “low prices. everyday.” are right around the corner. It’s shameful really. But from what I hear in Red Lake, I’m not the only one who experiences these strange symptoms when driving south out of Red Lake.

2 comments:

ribbit98 said...

We have plain Hershey chocolate bars in Sioux Lookout!

Dave & Gloria said...

You make me smile, Karen! Mom